SECTION 1: [CLASSES OF MEMBERSHIP]
The General Order, via The General Synod, Executive Council, and other subordinate Administrative and Ecclesiastical Sees shall remain the sole and final authority of the requisites for membership in the Society Of The Astral Star. Both men and women of good moral character, whose ideals, characteristics, and attainments are such as will make them compatible, congenial, and worthy members of the General Order, and who comply with the laws of the General Order shall be accepted and remain members of the General Order.
No Candidate for membership into the Society Of The Astral Star shall be less than eighteen (18) years of age, unless they are a Legacy (minor child) of an Active or Honorary Member of the Order. No Legacy shall be less than fourteen (14) years of age before being received as an Associate Member (Aspirant) of their own accord nor less than sixteen (16) years of age before being received as an Active Member (Adelphon) of their own accord.
All Candidates for membership into The Society Of The Astral Star shall meet the conditions and agree to the terms as provided in the Preliminary Pledge Form of the General Order, and shall sign and date same. Refer to Article VII, Section 2.
There shall be four (4) classes of membership within The Society Of The Astral Star, Inc. as follows:
PARAGRAPH 1: [ASSOCIATE MEMBERS]
Associate Members of The Society Of The Astral Star include all individuals, both male and female, who have formally pledged themselves to and have been admitted to the Ought (0ro) Degree, also known as the Grade of Aspirant (0=0). Associate Members of the General Order pay no dues, but may be charged at cost fees for official materials. Associate Members do not have to identify themselves as Christian, however they must take an earnest interest in Christian texts and symbolism. Associate Members must complete a course of instruction designed to explore "self" and their relationship to "God." This is accomplished by participation in various meditational exercises, in the General Order's religious services, and exploration and development of various psychic arts and sciences. There is a minimum time in grade for Aspirant of one (1) year. No Associate Member will become an Active Member of the General Order who is not at least nominally of the Christian Faith in theological and philosophical terms.
PARAGRAPH 2: [ACTIVE MEMBERS]
Active Members of The Society Of The Astral Star include all individuals, both male and female, who have formally been admitted to at least the First (1st) Degree, also known as the Grade of Adelphon (0=11) having received the accolade. Active Members of the General Order must identify themselves at least nominally of the Christian Faith; must maintain regular contact with the General Order and/or a subordinate organization thereof; and continue active participation in the various courses of instruction in various meditational exercises, in the General Order's religious services, and exploration and development of self via various esoteric, magickal, and mystical arts and sciences; and support the work of the General Order by paying yearly dues - unless a waiver of dues has been obtained for just cause(s); have both voice and vote on all business sessions of the General Order and to the subordinate organizations to which they belong, including candidates for membership. Minimum time in grade for each degree is stated in Article VII, Section 2.
PARAGRAPH 3: [INACTIVE MEMBERS]
Inactive Members of the Society Of The Astral Star include all previously admitted Active Members of at least First Degree in the Grade of Adelphon or greater, who have ceased active participation in the General Order or subordinate organization, and have ceased to support the General Order's work by paying dues. Active Members may request Inactive Status by writing the Third Adept (Chancellor) and explain cause for making the request. If approved by the Executive Council and/or General Synod then said Member may be placed "Inactive". Those members who do not make request for Inactive Status or fail to maintain status of an Active Member in Good Standing may be demitted from Membership by proper ecclesiastical authority.
PARAGRAPH 4: [HONORARY MEMBERS]
Honorary Members of The Society Of The Astral Star include all individuals, both male and female, who have formally been admitted to the First (1st) Degree, also known as the Grade of Adelphon (0=11). Honorary Members of the General Order do not have to be Christian in theology or practice. Honorary Members pay no dues; but have both voice and vote just as Active Members. Minimum time in grade for each degree is stated in Article VII, Section 2. Only individuals who have performed a service for or on the behalf of the General Order or the magickal community at large are eligible for Honorary Membership. Individuals must be personally known and actively participated with for a minimum of three (3) years before being eligible for Honorary Membership. Honorary Membership may only be bestowed by the General Synod and/or the Executive Council by majority vote. Applications for Honorary Membership are not accepted.
SECTION 2: [MEMBERSHIP PRELIMINARY PLEDGE FORM]
I, the Undersigned, do hereby seek admission into the Society of the Astral Star as an Aspirant, and further solemnly pledge of myself that:1) I am of the full age of not less than 18 years, (and/or of the minimum age of majority in my domestic state of residence);
2) I offer myself as a Candidate for this society, The Society Of The Astral Star, Inc., of my own free will and with honorable intentions;
3) I believe in a Divine Being or Beings, and that if I am not a Christian, I will at least take an earnest interest in Christian texts and symbolism;
4) I will to the best of my ability first and foremost pledge to obey my own conscience; that I will meditate upon the life and actions of the Master, Jesus - The Christ (for that is the standard in the Western world); that I will pray to the Almighty One (i.e. God) for guidance and fearlessly follow the Light so far as I receive it;
5) I will keep secret this Order, save that which is public knowledge, it's true Name, and it's Members - including my affiliation therewith; All rites, rituals, and all other proceedings, from every person outside it's pale; and even from previously inducted Aspirants and Adelphon, unless in actual possession of the password for the time being, unless a waiver has been granted to me in writing by competent authority. I further promise to keep secret any information relative to this Order which may have become known to me prior to my admission, and I pledge myself to divulge nothing to the Outer world of Common Souls concerning this Order, in the event of my Resignation, Demission, Suspension, or Expulsion therefrom - save that which is public knowledge;
6) I will prosecute with zeal the teachings of The Society Of The Astral Star, including the study of martial arts, and the disciplines of the Occult Arts and Sciences. I further understand that this Order is not established for the benefit of those who desire merely a superficial knowledge of these Arts and Sciences and of the disciplines pertaining there to;
7) I shall not submit myself to common Mediums, experiments involving Hypnotism, or Mesmerism, or Spiritism, unless directly related to Order Study or unless a waiver has been properly granted; and further, under no circumstances willingly allow my mind to fall under the influence of any mind altering or mind controlling substance(s) to a point of loosing control of my consciousness;
8) If accepted as an Aspirant, I understand that I am not guaranteed further admission into other degrees of the Order, and that if I am accepted into other degrees of service, that I shall further accept the greater responsibilities and duties that greater knowledge requires of all whom enter unto them. I further shall pledge to persevere through the Ceremony of Admission, The induction ritual of Initiation into the degree(s) I am accepted; whereby I shall to the best of my ability conform to the Laws, Rites, and Rituals of the General Order and to the ideals of The society. All of this, without the slightest mental hesitation or reservation.
I select the following for my Motto [Greek, Latin, or Hebrew Preferable]:
Fr. / Sr.______________________________________________________
Signature in Full:
Dated this __________ Day of _________________ 20 _____
*NOTE: For links to copies of the Aspirant Membership and Pledge Forms, feel free to click here. - Editor.
SECTION 3: [DEGREES OF KNOWLEDGE / INSTRUCTION]
The Society Of The Astral Star shall have the following Degrees of Induction listed:
SECTION 4: [ADVANCEMENT IN DEGREE]
A member of the Society Of The Astral Star may advance in Degree by studying and mastering the required material, (listed in "The Crux Mystica: The Handbook For Advancement; Volume #0, Issue #2" and in The Crux Mystica: The Grimoire Asteros; Volume #0, Issue #3") and by having enough time in the previous degree/grade of knowledge; and by passing any required written or practical tests; and by receiving approval from appropriate authority of the general order.
No subordinate organization of the General Order shall be free to proceed with an advancement in grade/degree of an Active Member or to perform initiation into a grade / degree, even if in all other respects fully authorized, unless first it shall have obtained from the office of the Chief Adept (President) a written or telegraphic Authorization to Initiate bearing the signature of Chief Adept.
SECTION 5: [RIGHTS & DUTIES OF MEMBERS]
All rights, duties, privileges, and obligations of membership in the General Order are reserved and restricted for members of The Society Of The Astral Star (in the Outer). Only duly initiated Members, Associate Members, and Honorary Members who meet the membership requirements specified in Article VII, Section #1 of this Constitution shall have nay privileges of membership, participation, or association except as may be provided in the Laws of the General Order as provided by The General Synod and/or Executive Council.
PARAGRAPH 1: [RIGHTS OF MEMBERS]
All Members in good standing shall:1) not be discriminated against;
2) be informed of sessions of the General Synod, Executive Council; or subordinate organizations to which he/she belongs;
3) be allowed to attend sessions of the General Synod, Executive Council; or subordinate organizations to which he/she belongs;
4) be allowed freedom of thought;
5) be allowed voice (freedom of speech) on issues to which he/she is entitled;
6) be allowed to vote on issues to which he/she is entitled;
7) be allowed to hold office for which he/she is qualified and duly selected or elected by lawful authority;
8) not be submitted to disciplinary action inconsistent with this Constitution and Law;
9) not be administratively demitted without cause;
10) have the right to wear the robes, tabard, and jewelry of the General Order at functions suitable for the occasion.
PARAGRAPH 2: [DUTIES OF MEMBERS]
All Members in good standing shall:1) abide by the laws, customs, traditions, rites, and rituals of the General Order;
2) pay promptly all lawful dues, service fees, and fines;
3) attend all regular meetings and all official functions of the General Order as may be possible;
4) to put forth a definite effort to assist in the recruitment of worthy individuals to become new members;
5) to study with zeal the curriculum(s) of the General Order;
6) to keep in confidence the mundane names of members and personal information about same;
7) to keep in confidence the initiation rituals into the various degrees and grades of knowledge and instruction, Inner rites, and teachings of the General Order;
8) to the best of their ability, keep their word to all sibling Adelphon and common soul alike;
9) strive to hear the voice within and be guided by it;
10) commit themselves to the Great Work;
11) not abuse the knowledge and power given or revealed unto them;
12) have the right to retain membership for life unless suspended or expelled from the General Order;
13) have the right to terminate membership and affiliation with the General Order.
SECTION 6: [PROOF OF MEMBERSHIP]
All members shall be entitled to the following proofs of membership and affiliation with The Society Of The Astral Star:
PARAGRAPH 1: [CERTIFICATES OF MEMBERSHIP & DEGREE]
Every member initiated into the General Order shall receive a Certificate of Membership attesting to his/her affiliation with The Society Of The Astral Star, bearing the seal of the General Order, and the signatures of the Chief Adept (President), Second Adept (Vice-President), Third Adept (Chancellor), and the Hierophant/Hierophantria who initiated the Member.
Furthermore, a member shall receive a Certificate of Advancement attesting to his/her initiation into a higher degree of knowledge of The Society Of The Astral Star, bearing the seal of the General Order, and the signatures of the Chief Adept (President), Second Adept (Vice-President), Third Adept (Chancellor), and the Hierophant/Hierophantria and other Officers who initiated the Member.
PARAGRAPH 2: [MEMBERSHIP CARD]
Upon initiation, each member shall be sent from the Fourth Adept (Secretary) a membership card attesting to his/her initiation into the General Order.
PARAGRAPH 3: [MEMBERSHIP ROBE, TABARD, & GRADE SASH]
Upon initiation to Aspirant, each member shall be presented with a black tabard of Associate Membership, and a sash of the grade;
Upon initiation to Adelphon, each member shall be presented with a white tabard of Active Membership, and a sash of the grade;
Upon initiation to other degrees / grades of knowledge, each member shall be presented with a sash of the grade;
Members being initiated into the various grade(s) are responsible for the financial costs of their own robes, tabards, and grade sashes, which remain the property of the General Order. In the event of a memberšs suspension, expulsion, or resignation, the cost of same shall be credited to the Member.
PARAGRAPH 4: [JEWELRY]
Upon initiation, each member shall be allowed to purchase official jewelry of the General Order from the Fourth Adept (Secretary). These items include a Crux Mystica (Cross of Mystery) and Astral Star Octacles (Encircled Eight Pointed Star), and other such designs as may be made available.
GOTO the TOP of THIS Page.
GOTO the OAB CONSTITUTION Page.
DOWNLOAD OAB CONSTITUTION:
The Text for the complete Constitution of The Society of The Astral Star (in the outer), being the Order of The Star of Bethlehem (in the inner), as a downloadable .pdf file.
GOTO the CRUX MYSTICA Page.
GOTO the Astral Star HOME Page.
The Society of The Astral Star, Inc. / P.O. Box 1482 / Georgetown / KY / 40324
Š1993-2017; The Order of The Star Of Bethlehem.
OAB Constitution Art. 7 Pg. has received hits!
For questions or comments regarding this site contact the Web Staff.